|- Let's enjoy the street fair food of summer festival-
Yakisoba (Stir-fried noodles),
Yakitori (Grilled chicken with Japanese taste.),
Stick-vegetables with Japanese taste dipping sauce,
Annin-tofu sweet (Milk jelly) with fruits and lemon-syrup,
|Summer festivals are being held in many places throughout Japan in this
Especially we are really having an exciting time in Kyoto with the traditional
First of all, let‘s enjoy Tanabata-Matsuri (the star festival on July/7th)
and cook some street fair food, today.
We would like to celebrate it by putting up big branches of bamboo with
colorful origami decorations, making a wish and hanging a strip with our
wish written on it.
＊Tanabata-Matsuri (Star festival) :
The Chinese legend, which has it that Altair (the Cowherd Star) and Vega(the
Weaver Star)were split apart by the two banks of the River of Heaven (the
Milky Way),Ama-no-gawa, and come together once a year this night, has aligned
with Japanese belief. Originally a festival carried out among the Court
(Photo: Decorations of Tanabata-Matsuri → )
|Yakisoba (Stir-Fry Noodles)
||Ingredients: (4 servings)
4 portions of noodle, 200g sea foods(shrimp and cuttlefish),
3 eringi mushrooms (4 shiitakemushrooms), 2 Japanese leeks,
1piece garlic, 1piece ginger, 100cc chicken soup (1 tsp stock of soup),
30cc sake, sesame oil(1Tbsp), salt(1tsp +1tsp), pepper
- Place shrimp and cuttlefish in a bowl, add 30cc sake and 1tsp salt.
And mix well.
- Cut eringi mushrooms length wise into a third, and slice it into rectangular.
Slice Japanese leek diagonally, and rinse it in water, stand for 10 minutes.
And drain it
- Cut thin ginger and garlic.
- Heat 1 Tbsp sesame oil in a pan on low heat, add garlic and ginger.
And shake the pan.
- Turn the heat medium, and add noodles in the pan.(then don’t touch noodles)
When the bottom is brown (after 3 minutes), turn over and brown the other
And remove it from the pan.
- Heat 1 Tbsp sesame oil in a pan, turn heat up high. When oil boils,
add shrimp and cuttlefish, and stir-fry. Add sake to the mix of oil,
shrimp and cuttlefish.
When sake boils, add eringi mushrooms, Japanese leeks,
and 1 tsp salt in the pan and more stir-fry.
- When all ingredients stir-fry, turn heat off, and add the noodles to the
- Pour chicken soup. And all ingredients and noodles mix it well.
- Place stir - fried noodles on plate, and sprinkle pepper.
＊Noodles becomes crisp, because
stir-fried noodles until both sides
＊It is important to adjust power of
Ex： When deep fry, heat on low.
When bake, heat on medium
When stir-fry, heat on high.
|Yakitori (Grilled chicken with Japanese taste)
||Ingredients: (4 servings, 8 skewers)
350-400g Chicken thigh (boneless), 1Japanese leek.
4Tbsp soy-sauce, 3Tbsp sake, 3Tbsp mirin, 1Tbsp honey (or sugar),
1 piece garlic (grated), 1 piece ginger (grated)
Shichimi-powder(Japanese seven -spice pepper), ground Sansho pepper.
＊It’s available to grill on the frying-pan or the gas-grill for fish.
- Soak skewers in water to prevent from burning.
- To make sauce : Mix soy sauce, sake, mirin and honey(sugar) well,
add grated garlic and ginger . Mix it well again.
- Remove the fat from the chicken thigh.
Cut chicken and Japanese leek into large bite-size pieces.(3cm length leek)
- Marinate them in sauce for 15min. at least.
- Skewer 3pieces of chicken and 2pieces of leek.
- Spread oven-sheet on the oven plate, put the chicken ?skewers on it.
To prevent burning the bamboo-skewers, cover them with foil.
- Grill them into the 200℃ oven for about 8min. Brush sauce on them and
turn over, grill them for 7-8min more. (Total about 15min.).
Make sure the inside of chicken is well done before serving.
- Serve them with Shichimi-spice pepper, or Sansho-pepper.
|Stick vegetables salad with Japanese dipping sauce.
||Ingredients: (4 servings)
2cucumbers, 1/2 carrot, 1/2celery, slices of pumpkin (boiled),
1tomato. ( or green asparagus, brocoli, etc), a little of salt
3Tbs miso, 1Tbsp mirin, 2Tbsp sugar, 3Tbsp Dashi-stock
Ume (plum pickles)-sauce :
2Tbsp mayonnaise, 1Tbsp fresh cream,
1umeboshi pickle (honey taste or mild taste), a little of lemon juice
- Cut cucumber, carrot, celery into stick size. And soak into salt-water.
Slice pumpkin and microwave to become soft. Cut tomato into 8pieces.
- To make miso-sauce : Mix miso, mirin, sugar and Dashi-stock well.
Microwave it for 1min. and cool it down.
- To make Ume-sauce : Chop Umeboshi to become like paste.
Mix mayonnaise, fresh cream, lemon-juice well.
Add umeboshi-paste and mix it well again.
- Serve all vegetables with dipping-sauce.
*Note : Shiro-miso sauce is also delicious. Please try it!
Mix 3Tbsp shiro-miso(mild white miso), 2Tbsp rice-vinegar, 2tsp sugar,
2Tbsp vegetable oil.
|Annin-tofu sweet with fruits and lemon syrup
4g agar-agar powder、 300cc water、 300cc milk、 60g sugar、
Lemon or essence of almond、fresh fruits
Syrup: 400cc water、 100g sugar、1 lemon
To make syrup
- Melt agar-agar powder and water in a pot and heat. When melted it completely,add
When the water starts to Boil remove from heater. Put iced milk into (1.).
- Sprinkle a pinch essence and mix well.
- Put them in strainer, and transfer to large bowl of glass.
- When annintofu cools down, Transfer it into refrigerator.
- Cut annintofu into 1-cm parallel from right side.
And cut it from left side in same way to obtain the shape of a diamond.
- Put syrup over it carefully.
- Arrange annintofu and cut fresh fruits.
- Combine water and sugar in a sauce pan, and boil in medium heat for 5 minutes.
Remove from heat, and cool down.
- Cut lemon on half, and squeeze, add it into (1.)
Back to the top of this page Back to the RECIPE page